Other Places to connect with me

For the past few years I’ve been keeping a track of our social media take up – so I knew where to concentrate our efforts. For the first year I updated it monthly – but since then I’ve just taken snapshots on the 8th of August every year.

Here’s this year’s.. (All the relevant posts, including the Ur Post with the magic updating Google Docs chart art tagged as smtrack)

sm_3yearson

Now in theory all of those are active, but in reality you can see the top hitters – No surprises really, Twitter, Facebook – both profile & page and the Linked in Group.

Of course, this doesn’t really look at engagement – I’m running sumall on that now to have a quick look but it’s interesting in the time I’ve been keeping an eye on this how the landscape changes – Prospective students are much keener to ask question over facebook then e-mail, but only  about half of the facebook users are keen to engage with things (For example, for our Welcome Week event this year we’ve only got one meta event listed, to encourage communication through the years and to catch more students. Of the 250 invites 114 have not yet responded – and Facebook have got rid of the super useful option to send a message to people invited to an event, probably for this very reason)

I also can’t see the landscape changing much more in the next year, we could probably Vine & Instagram more, but realistically it’s going to be photos of things on computers, videos of people in the mocap studio and the occasional Mexican Wave in a lecture theatre.

400ox