Other Places to connect with me

Sometimes events and requests come my way to do a workshop or a talk that’s a little bit difference – yesterday was one of those times.

Every year the Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service host a conference centered on Women in Communities and I was asked to do a workshop that featured games design – and I was more then happy to oblige because it gave me chance to use one of my favourite resources – ‘Heroic Women to Inspire Game Designers‘ I’ve used it before in classes but never in a workshop and it seemed the perfect match – and it was.

In 45 minutes we designed games based on the stores of these women, specifically thinking about targeting games to the women in the room and thinking about how we could use the aspects of the story to raise donations from the players for worthy causes. It was really inspirational to see both the amazing designs and share the stories of these women – heroic in such different ways. I got some great feedback and it was lovely to host a workshop without tech or computers getting in the way, and dispelling the idea that game design is something other people do, and empowering these groups of mainly women to think about how they design interactive experiences and engage communities.

Also the conference organisers used More than Minutes to take visual minutes, I love it when this happens at conferences and I think it’s the first time I’ve been featured on one of these.

You can see all of the minutes here