Student Satisfaction

“The Postgraduate (taught) Experience Survey has just completed. This is an independent, national audit of how postgraduate students feel about their course. I’m very pleased to report that our students on the MA in Continental Philosophy are happy indeed. 100% of respondents are pleased with the course overall, and 100% would recommend it to a friend.”

I wrote the above in 2015. the most recent poll (2017) has just come out, with exactly the same result!

Here are some comments about the MA programme from current and recent students.

I studied philosophy at Lancaster University more than ten years ago, and I have long hoped to pursue a postgraduate degree in the subject. The only catch is: it has to be incredibly flexible. I am a small business owner with a young family, which means that my schedule has to remain adaptable, and my time is precious. I also live on Guernsey – a small island without a local university – which means any degree I pursue has to be mostly-or-wholly distance based and online. Finding a postgrad course that fulfils these criteria is hard enough – but add provisions that the course should be credible and interesting, and it becomes almost impossible. I am very grateful to Staffordshire (and to Professors Douglas Burnham and David Webb) for providing such a course. For me, it represents the fulfilment of a decade-long aspiration.

Theo Leworthy

My experiences so far have been overwhelmingly positive. The tutors are very helpful, the modules generally well designed, and the literature interesting and intellectually stimulating. I’ve benefitted from other students’ insights, too, who, along with the tutors, have helped me gain traction on issues in continental philosophy. Philosophy at Staffs promotes a very convivial atmosphere for learning.

David Monroe

Having spent a year of distance learning studying analytical philosophy at another university, I wanted to get a solid grounding in European philosophy so I transferred to do my second year of the MA with Staffs. I am delighted that I did so, not least because of the quality of tuition and the participation of the other students on the lively discussion forums but also because you are challenged and encouraged at every stage to develop your thinking. It was demanding, of course, and the academic standard is very high but having just finished, I am now confident that I have the skills and knowledge to continue in philosophy whenever I decide to.  Thoroughly recommended.

Bob Lloyd

Douglas Burnham

About Douglas Burnham

Professor of Philosophy
This entry was posted in Courses, News and Events, Students. Bookmark the permalink.