Health & Behaviour Change – Peer Reviewed Journal Articles & Book Sections (Since 2014)
- Burton, A. E., Clancy, L., & Cowap, L. (in press). Exploring the facilitators and barriers to physical activity in older people with sight loss. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity.
- Burton, A. E., Hughes, M., & Dempsey, R. C. (in press). Quality of life research: A case for combining photo-elicitation with interpretative phenomenological analysis. Qualitative Research in Psychology.
- Byrne-Davis, L. M. T., Bull, E. R., Burton, A., Sharni, N., Gillison, F., Maltinski, W., Mason, C., Sharma, N., Armitage, C., Johnston, M., Byrne, G., & Hart, J. (in press). How behavioural science can contribute to health partnerships: the case of The Change Exchange. Globalisation and Health.
- Cumming, S. J. D., Turner, M. J., & Jones, M. (in press). Longitudinal Changes in Elite Rowers’ Challenge and Threat Appraisals of Pressure Situations: A Season-Long Observational Study. The Sport Psychologist.
- Flurey, C.A., White, A., Rodham, K., Kirwan, J., Noddings, R. & Hewlett, S. (in press). “Everyone assumes a man to be quite strong”: Men, masculinity and rheumatoid arthritis: A case-study approach. Sociology of Health and Illness.
- Hanley, B., Scott, H., & Priest, H. (in press). The impact of organisational change on professionals working within a Community Mental Health Team (CMHT): A psychodynamic perspective. Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy.
- Jolley, D., & Douglas, K. M. (in press). Prevention is better than cure: Addressing anti-vaccine conspiracy theories. Journal of Applied Social Psychology.
- Jolley, D., Douglas, K. M., & Sutton, R. M. (in press). Blaming a few bad apples to save a threatened barrel: The system-justifying function of conspiracy theories. Political Psychology.
- Lloyd, H., Lloyd, J., Fitzpatrick, R., & Peters, M. (in press). The role of life context and self-defined well-being in the outcomes that matter to people with a diagnosis of schizophrenia. Health Expectations.
- Owen, R., Dempsey, R., Jones, S., & Gooding, P. (in press). Defeat and Entrapment in Bipolar Disorder: Exploring the relationship with suicidal ideation from a psychological theoretical perspective. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior.
- Owen, R., Gooding, P., Dempsey, R., & Jones, S. (in press). The reciprocal relationship between Bipolar Disorder and social interaction: A qualitative investigation. Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy.
- Panagiotidi, M., Overton, P., & Stafford, T. (in press). Co-occurrence of ASD and ADHD traits in the general population. Journal of Attention Disorders.
- Burton, A., Burgess, C., Dean, S., Koutsopoulou, G., & Hugh-Jones, S. (2017). How effective are mindfulness-based interventions for reducing stress among healthcare professionals? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Stress and Health, 33(1), 3-13.
- Byrne-Davis, L., Bull, E., Burton, A., Dharni, N., Gillison, F., Maltinsky, W., Mason, C., Sharma, N. and Hart, J. (2017). Global Health Psychology: Research, Volunteering & Consultancy. The European Health Psychologist, 19 (2), 321-325.
- Dempsey, R. C., Gooding, P. A., & Jones, S. H. (2017). A prospective study of the vulnerability to Bipolar Disorder in relation to behavioural activation, behavioural inhibition and Dysregulation of the Behavioural Activation System. European Psychiatry. 44, 24-29.
- Flett, K., Grogan, S., Clark-Carter, D., Gough, B., & Connor, M. (2017). Male smokers’ experiences of an appearance-focused facial-ageing intervention. Journal of Health Psychology, 22(4), 422-433.
- Flurey, C. A., Hewlett, S., Rodham, K., White, A., Noddings, R. & Kirwan, J. (2017). “You obviously just have to put on a brave face”: A qualitative study of the experiences and coping styles of men with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Care & Research, 69(3), 330-337.
- Grogan, S., Parlane, V., & Buckley, E. (2017). Younger British men’s understandings of prostate cancer: A qualitative study. Journal of Health Psychology, 22(6), 743-753.
- Matthews, H., & Semper, H. (2017). ‘Dropped from the system’: the experiences and challenges of long term breast cancer survivors. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 73(6), 1355-1365.
- Panagiotidi, M. (2017). Problematic Video Game Play and ADHD Traits in an Adult Population. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 20(5), 292-295.
- Pryce, L., Tweed, A., Hilton, A., & Priest, H. M. (2017). Tolerating Uncertainty: Perceptions of the Future for Ageing Parent Carers and Their Adult Children with Intellectual Disabilities. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 30(1), 84-96.
- Ruijsbroek, A., Droomers, M., Kruize, H., van Kempen, E., Gidlow, C. J., Hurst, G., Andrusaityte, S., Nieuwenhuijsen, M. J., Maas, J., Hardyns, W., Stronks, K., & Groenewegen, P. P. (2017). Does the Health Impact of Exposure to Neighbourhood Green Space Differ between Population Groups? An Explorative Study in Four European Cities. International Journal of Environmental Research & Public Health, 14(6), 618, doi:10.3390/ijerph14060618.
- Triguero-Mas, M., Gidlow, C. J., Martínez, D., de Bont, J., Carrasco-Turigas, G., Martínez-Íñiguez, T., Hurst, G., Masterson, D., Donaire-Gonzalez, D., Seto, E., Jones, M. V., & Nieuwenhuijsen, M. J. (2017). The effect of randomised exposure to different types of natural outdoor environments compared to exposure to an urban environment on people with indications of psychological distress in Catalonia. PLoS ONE, 12(3):e0172200.
- Zijlema, W. L., Triguero-Mas, M., Smith, G., Cirach, M., Martinez, D., Dadvand, P., Gascon, M., Jones, M., Gidlow, C., Hurst, G., Masterson, D., Ellis, N., van den Berg, M., Maas, J., van Kamp, I., van den Hazel, P., Kruize, H., Nieuwenhuijsen, M. J., & Julvez, J. (2017). The relationship between natural outdoor environments and cognitive functioning and its mediators. Environmental Research, 155, 268-275.
- Burton, A. E., Gibson, J. M., & Shaw, R. L. (2016). How do older people with sight loss manage their general health? A qualitative study. Disability and Rehabilitation, 38(23), 2277-2285.
- Davies, E., Jolley, D., & Coiffait, F. (2016). Reflection and connection: UK Psychologists’ views and experiences of blogging. E-Learning and Digital Media, 13(5-6), 196-211.
- Dean, S. E., Povey. R., & Reeves, J. (2016). Assessing interventions to increase compliance to patching treatment in children with amblyopia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. British Journal of Ophthalmology, 100, 159-165.
- Dempsey, R. C., McAlaney, J., Helmer, S., Pischke, C., Akvardar, Y., Bewick B. M., Fawkner, H., Guillen-Grima, F., Stock, C., Vriesacker, B., van Hal, G., Salonna, F., Kalina, O., Orosova, O., & Mikolajczyk, R. T. (2016). Normative perceptions of cannabis use amongst European University students: associations of perceived peer use and peer attitudes with personal use and attitudes. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 77(5), 740-748.
- Donnelly A. A., MacIntyre, T. E., O’Sullivan, N., Warrington, G., Harrison, A. J., Igou, E. R., Jones, M., Gidlow, C., Brick, N., Lahart, I., Cloak, R., & Lane, A. M. (2016). Environmental Influences on Elite Sport Athletes Well Being: From Gold, Silver, and Bronze to Blue Green and Gold. Frontiers in Psychology. 7:1167.
- Duncan, M. J., Smith, M., Bryant, E., Eyre, E., Cook K., Hankey, J., Tallis, J., Clarke. N., & Jones, M. V. (2016). Effects of increasing and decreasing physiological arousal on anticipation timing performance during competition and practice. European Journal of Sport Science, 16(1), 27-35.
- Fleet, D., Burton, A., Reeves, A., & Das Gupta, M. (2016). A case for taking the dual role of counsellor-researcher in qualitative research. Qualitative Research in Psychology, 13(4), 328-346.
- Flurey, C. A., Hewlett, S., Rodham, K., White, A., Noddings, R. & Kirwan, J. (2016). Identifying different typologies of experiences and coping strategies in men with rheumatoid arthritis: A Q-methodology study. BMJ Open, 6:e012051 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2016-012051
- Flurey, C. A., Hewlett, S., Rodham, K., White, A., Noddings, R. & Kirwan, J. (2016). Men, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psychological Impact and Self-Management: A Systematic Review. Journal of Health Psychology, 21(10), 2168-2182.
- Gidlow, C. J., Jones, M. V., Hurst, G., Masterson, D., Clark-Carter, D., Tarvainen, M. P., Smith, G., & Nieuwenhuijsen, M. (2016). Where to put your best foot forward: Psycho-physiological responses to walking in natural and urban environments. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 45, 22-29.
- Gidlow, C. J., Randall, J., Gillman, J. Smith, G. R., & Jones, M. V. (2016). Natural environments and chronic stress measured by hair cortisol. Landscape and Urban Planning, 148, 61–67.
- Gidlow, C. J., Randall, J., Gillman, J. Silk, S., & Jones, M. V. (2016). Hair cortisol and self-reported stress in healthy, working adults. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 63, 163–169.
- Grey, E., Harris, M., Rodham, K., & Weiss, M. C. (2016). Characteristics of good quality pharmaceutical services common to community pharmacies and dispensing general practices. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice, 24(5), 311-318.
- Heath, R. A., & Priest, H. M. (2016). Examining experiences of transition, instability and coping for young offenders in the community: A qualitative analysis. Clinical Child Psychology & Psychiatry, 21(2), 224-239.
- Helmer, S. M., Pischke, C. R., Vriesacker, B., Van Hal, G., Dempsey, R. C., Akvardar, Y., Guillen-Grima, F., Salonna, F., Stock, C., & Zeeb, H. (2016). Personal and perceived peer non-medical use of prescription medicines to improve academic performance among university students in seven European countries. Drug & Alcohol Dependence, 168, 128-134.
- Hooley, K., Stokes., J., & Combes, H. (2016). Life story work with looked after and adopted children: how professional training and experience determine perceptions of its value. Fostering & Adoption, 40(3), 219-233.
- Lloyd, J., Hawton, K., Dutton, W. H., Geddes, J. R., Goodwin, G. M., & Rogers, R. D. (2016). Thoughts and acts of self-harm, and suicidal ideation, in online gamblers. International Gambling Studies, 16(3), 408-423.
- Lord, K., Priest, H., & McGowan, A. (2016). Therapeutic engagement in medium-secure care: An interpretative phenomenological analysis of service users’ experiences. Journal of Forensic Psychiatry and Psychology, 27(1), 55-76.
- Lord, L., Clark-Carter, D., & Grove, A. (2016). The effectiveness of communication-skills training interventions in end-of-life non cancer care in acute hospital-based services: A systematic review. Palliative & Supportive Care, 14(4), 433-444.
- Oakes, P., Murphy, G., Giraud-Saunders, A., & Akinshegun, N. (2016). The realistic evaluation of an adapted thinking skills programme. Journal of Intellectual Disabilities and Offending Behaviour, 7(1), 14-24.
- Owen, R., Gooding, P. A., Dempsey, R. C., & Jones, S. H. (2016). The subjective experience of participation in suicide research from the perspective of individuals with Bipolar Disorder. Journal of Nervous & Mental Disease, 204(11), 840-844.
- Owen, A. L., Grogan, S., Clark-Carter, D., & Buckley, E. (2016). Effects of an Appearance-Focussed Versus a Health-Focussed Intervention on Men’s Attitudes Towards UV Exposure. International Journal of Men’s Health, 15(1).
- Povey, R., Cowap, L., & Gratton, L. (2016). “They said I’m a square for eating them”: Children’s beliefs about fruit and vegetables in England. British Food Journal, 118(12), 2949-2962.
- Rodham, K., Gavin, J., Coulson, N. & Watts, L. (2016). Co-creation of information leaflets to meet the support needs of people living with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) through innovative use of wiki technology. Informatics for Health and Social Care, 41(3), 325-339.
- Rodham, K., Gavin, J., Lewis, S., Bandalli, P. & St Denis, J. (2016). The NSSI Paradox: Discussing and displaying NSSI in an online environment. Deviant Behavior, 37, 1110-1117.
- Semper, H. M., Povey, R. , & Clark-Carter, D. (2016). A systematic review of the effectiveness of smartphone applications that encourage self-regulatory strategies for weight loss in overweight and obese adults. Obesity Reviews, 17(9), 895-906.
- Shead, H., Scott, H., & Rose, J. (2016). Investigating predictors and moderators of burnout in staff working in services for people with intellectual disabilities: the role of emotional intelligence, exposure to violence, and self-efficacy. International Journal of Developmental Disabilities, 62(4), 224-233.
- Smedley, R., Coulson, N., Gavin, J., Rodham, K., & Watts, L. (2016). Engagement in a newly launched online support community for Complex Regional Pain Syndrome: membership growth, header analysis and introductory messages. International Journal of Web Based Communities, 12(2), 147-164.
- Thurgood, S., McNeill, A., Clark-Carter, D., & Brose, L. S. (2016). A systematic review of smoking cessation interventions for adults in substance abuse treatment or recovery. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 18(5), 993-1001.
- Weiss, M.C., Grey, E., Harris, M. & Rodham, K. (2016). A comparison of Dispensing Doctor and Community Pharmacy Systems for Providing Pharmaceutical Services. Primary Health Care Research and Development, 17(1), 42-55.
- Blashill, A. J., Williams, A., Grogan, S., & Clark-Carter, D. (2015). Negative appearance evaluation is associated with skin cancer risk behaviors among American men and women. Health Psychology, 34(1), 93-96.
- Burton, A. E., & Shaw, R. L. (2015). Pain Management Programmes for Non-English-Speaking Black and Minority Ethnic Groups With Long-Term or Chronic Pain. Musculoskeletal Care, 13(4), 187–203.
- Burton, A. E., Shaw, R. L., & Gibson, J. M. (2015). Living together with age-related macular degeneration: An interpretative phenomenological analysis of sense-making within a dyadic relationship. Journal of Health Psychology, 20(10), 1285-1295.
- Grazuleviciene, R., Vencloviene, J., Kubilius, R., Grizas, V., Dedele, A., Grazulevicius, T., Ceponiene, I., Tamuleviciute-Prasciene, E., Nieuwenhuijsen, M. J., Jones, M., & Gidlow, C. (2015). The Effect of Park and Urban Environments on Coronary Artery Disease Patients: A Randomized Trial. BioMed Research International, Article ID 403012.
- Hall, J., Kasujja, R., & Oakes, P. (2015). Clinical supervision for clinical psychology students in Uganda: an initial qualitative exploration. International Journal of Mental Health Systems, 9:24, doi: 10.1186/s13033-015-0016-8
- Herron, D., Priest, H. M., & Read, S. (2015). Working alongside older people with a learning disability: informing and shaping research design. British Journal of Learning Disabilities, 43, 261–269.
- Jones, L., Metcalf, A., Gordon-Smith, K., Forty, L., Perry, A., Lloyd, J., Geddes, J. R., Goodwin, G. M., Jones, I., Craddock, N., & Rogers, R. D. (2015). Gambling problems in bipolar disorder in the UK: prevalence and distribution. The British Journal of Psychiatry, 207(4), 328-333.
- Lloyd-Richardson, E., Lewis, S., Whitlock, J., Rodham, K., & Schatten, H. T. (2015). Research With Adolescents Who Engage in Non-Suicidal Self-Injury: Ethical Considerations and Challenges. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health, 9:37, DOI 10.1186/s13034-015-0071-6
- Marsland, D., Oakes, P., & Bright, N. (2015). It can still happen here: systemic risk factors that may contribute to the continued abuse of people with intellectual disabilities. Tizard Learning Disability Review, 20(3), 134-146.
- Marsland, D., Oakes, P., & White, C. (2015). Abuse in care? A research project to identify early indicators of concern in residential and nursing homes for older people. The Journal of Adult Protection, 17(2), 111-125.
- McAlaney, J., Helmer, S., Stock, C., Vriesacker, B., Van Hal, G., Dempsey, R. C., Akvardar, Y., Salonna, F., Kalina, O., Guillen-Grima, F., Bewick, B. M., & Mikolajczyk, R. (2015). Personal and perceived peer use of and attitudes toward alcohol among university and college students in seven EU countries: Project SNIPE. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 76(3), 430-438.
- Owen, R., Gooding, P., Dempsey, R., & Jones, S. (2015). A qualitative investigation into the relationships between social factors and suicidal thoughts and acts experienced by people with a Bipolar Disorder diagnosis. Journal of Affective Disorders, 176, 133-140.
- Pischke, C. R., Helmer, S. M., McAlaney, J., Bewick, B. M., Vriesacker, B., van Hal, G., Mikolajczyk, R. T., Akvardar, Y., Guillen-Grima, F., Salonna, F., Orosova, O., Dohrmann, S., Dempsey, R. C., & Zeeb, H. (2015). Normative misperceptions of tobacco use among university students in seven European countries: Baseline findings of the ‘Social Norms Intervention for the prevention of Polydrug usE’ study. Addictive Behaviors, 51, 158–164.
- Rodham, K., Fox, F. & Doran, N. (2015). Lost in Transcription: Exploring analytical trustworthiness and the process of reaching consensus in Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis. International Journal of Social Research Methodology, 18(1), 59-71.
- Slater, M. J., Barker, J. B., Coffee, P., & Jones, M. V. (2015). Leading for gold: social identity leadership processes at the London 2012 Olympic Games. Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health, 7, 192–209.
- Smedley, R. M., Coulson, N. S., Gavin, J., Rodham. K., & Watts, L. (2015). Online social support for Complex Regional Pain Syndrome: A content analysis of support exchanges within a newly launched discussion forum. Computers in Human Behavior, 51 (A), 53-63.
- Stokes, L., Combes, H., & Stokes, G. (2015). The dementia diagnosis: a literature review of information, understanding, and attributions. Psychogeriatrics, 15(3), 218–225.
- Douglas, K.M, Sutton, R.M., Jolley, D., & Wood, M. J. (2015). The social, political, environmental, and health-related consequences of conspiracy theories. In: M. Bilewicz, A. Cichocka, & W. Soral (Eds.), The Psychology of Conspiracy. Abingdon, Oxford, UK: Taylor & Francis.
- Allen, M. S., Greenlees, I., & Jones, M. V., (2014). Personality, counterfactual thinking, and negative emotional reactivity. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 15, 147-154.
- Allen, M. S., & Jones, M. V. (2014). The ‘home advantage’ in athletic competitions. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 23(1), 48–53.
- Allen, M. S., & Jones, M. V. (2014). The home advantage over the first 20 seasons of the English Premier League: Effects of shirt colour, team ability and time trends. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 12(1), 10–18.
- Bunce, J., Heyland, S., Grogan, S., Padilla, T., Williams, A., Kilgariff, S., Woodhouse, C., Cowap, L., & Davies, W. (2014). The rationale behind a Dance Movement Psychotherapy intervention used in a small research pilot in a further education context to develop awareness about young people’s body image. Body, Movement and Dance in Psychotherapy: An International Journal for Theory, Research and Practice, 9(1), 4-15.
- Fern, V. Grogan, S. & Buckley, E.J. (2014). Postpartum body image and baby feeding choices: Dealing with the pressure to be slender. British Journal of Midwifery, 22(11), 788-794.
- Hare, J., Clark-Carter, D., & Forshaw, M. (2014). A randomized controlled trial to evaluate the effectiveness of a cognitive behavioural group approach to improve patient adherence to peritoneal dialysis fluid restrictions: a pilot study. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, 29, 555-564.
- Helmer, S. M., Mikolajczyk, R. T., McAlaney, J., Vriesacker, B., van Hal, G., Akvardar, Y., Guillen-Grima, F., Salonna, F., Stock, C., Dempsey, R. C., Bewick, B. M., & Zeeb H. (2014). Illicit substance use among university students from seven European countries: A comparison of personal and perceived peer use and personal and perceived peer attitudes towards illicit substance use. Preventive Medicine, 67, 204-209.
- Hunt, T. E., Clark-Carter, D., &, Sheffield, D. (2014) Exploring the relationship between mathematics anxiety and performance: The role of intrusive thoughts. Journal of Education, Psychology and Social Sciences, 2, 69-75.
- Jolley, D. & Douglas, K. M. (2014). The effects of anti-vaccine conspiracy theories on vaccination intentions. PLoS ONE, 9 (2): e89177.
- Jolley, D. & Douglas, K.M. (2014). The social consequences of conspiracism: Exposure to conspiracy theories decreases intentions to engage in politics and to reduce one’s carbon footprint. British Journal of Psychology, 105, 35-36.
- Jones, S., Calam, R., Sanders, M., Diggle, P., Dempsey, R., & Sadhnani, V. (2014). A pilot web based positive parenting intervention to help Bipolar parents to improve perceived parenting skills and child outcomes. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy, 42(3), 283-296.
- Kilanska, A., & Priest, H. M. (2014). Support workers’ mental health knowledge and confidence in relation to exposure, experience, work setting and training. Advances in Mental Health and Intellectual Disabilities, 8(4), 248-259.
- Meijen, C., Jones, M. V., McCarthy, P. J., & Sheffield, D. (2014). Challenge and Threat States: Cardiovascular, Affective and Cognitive Responses to a Sports-Related Speech Task. Motivation and Emotion, 38, 252-262.
- Nieuwenhuijsen, M. J., Kruize, H., Gidlow, C., Andrusaityte, S., Antó, J. M., Basagaña, X., Cirach, M., Dadvand, P., Danileviciute, A., Donaire-Gonzalez, D., Garcia, J., Jerrett, M., Jones, M., et al., (2014). Positive health effects of the natural outdoor environment in typical populations in different regions in Europe (PHENOTYPE): a study programme protocol. BMJ Open, 4, e004951.
- Randall, J., Ellis, N., Gidlow, C., & Jones, M. (2014). Comparing mental health diagnoses: Changes in Mood and self-esteem following a single bout of exercise. The Journal of Psychological Therapies in Primary Care, 3, 34-46.
- Turner, M. J., Jones, M. V., Sheffield, D., Barker, J. B., & Coffee. (2014). Manipulating cardiovascular indices of challenge and threat using resource appraisals. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 94, 9–18.
- Williams, A.L. (2014). The psychology of sun protection: a variety of methods to change health behaviours. Journal of Aesthetic Nursing, 3, 238-239.
- Shaw, R., Burton, A., Xuereb, C., Gibson, J., & Lane, D. (2014). Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis in Applied Health Research. In SAGE Research Methods Cases. London, United Kingdom: SAGE Publications, Ltd.
- Dent. H. (2014). Clinical Psychology: Research and Developments. London & NY: Routledge.