My research interests lie across Clinical and Health Psychology. I am broadly interested in how an individual’s perception of their social environment influences their psychological wellbeing and the engagement in a variety of health-related behaviours.
My research falls into three areas (click on the below links for more details):
- Understanding the Psychology of Bipolar Disorder
- Understanding the Psychology of Suicidality
- Evaluating the Social Norms Approach
Research Collaborations & Postgraduate Research Opportunities
I am very happy to discuss developing new collaborations with international researchers and individuals from other fields of study as well as those working from a psychological perspective.
I am keen to hear from motivated potential PhD candidates interested in pursuing research into the experience of suicidality in bipolar disorder, applying the social norms approach to general population samples and non-substance-related behaviours, as well as other related areas of interest (click here for my contact details).
- Centre for Health & Development (CHAD, Staffordshire University)
- Dr. Bridgette Bewick (University of Leeds)
- Dr. Alyson Dodd (Northumbria University)
- Dr. Hannah Heath (University of Chester)
- Dr. Nadja Heym (Nottingham Trent University)
- Dr. Kevin Hochard (University of Chester)
- Dr. Daniel Jolley (Staffordshire University)
- Dr. John McAlaney (Bournemouth University)
- Dr. Maria Panagiotidi (Staffordshire University)
- Dr. Rachel Povey (Staffordshire University)
- Professor Karen Rodham (Staffordshire University)
- EU SNIPE Partners
- I also work collaboratively with various partners in local mental health services, the NHS and Public Health.
- Sian Calvert (PhD Student, Staffordshire University, 2015-present). Principal Supervisor with Dr Rachel Povey (Staffordshire University). Project titled: Applying the Social Norms Approach to Improve Dietary Behaviours amongst High School Students.
- Tina Hamilton (PhD Student, Staffordshire University, 2017-present). Principal Supervisor with Professor Eleanor Bradley (University of Worcester). Project titled: A critical analysis of adult safeguarding practices in NHS mental health trusts.
- Darel Cookson (PhD Student, Staffordshire University, 2017-present). Co-supervisor with Dr Daniel Jolley and Dr Rachel Povey (both Staffordshire University). Project titled: The role of social norms in reducing belief in conspiracy theories.
- Craig Burman (DClinPsy Trainee, Staffordshire University, 2017-present). Co-supervisor with Dr Helena Priest (Staffordshire University). Project titled: Exploring the nature of self and identity amongst men living with bipolar disorder.
- Rebecca Owen (PhD Student, University of Manchester, 2013-2017). Co-supervisor with Dr Patricia Gooding (University of Manchester) and Prof Steven Jones (Lancaster University) on a project titled “The role of appraisals of factors related to social communication in the suicidal thoughts and acts of people who experience bipolar disorder“.