Why study in Stoke-on-Trent?

I have been here for most of my life, studying at primary school, high school and college in Stoke-on-Trent. There’s plenty of reasons why you should study here, but here are some of my reasons for studying here…

Firstly, the local community surrounding the campus is very friendly! I guess after so long, the locals have gotten used to the student population and accepted it as part of everyday life. The community comes from all walks of life, so you feel a sense of belonging here in Stoke-on-Trent, no matter where you’ve come from.

Another reason to consider studying here is that the transport links to and from other major cities are great. It’s no coincidence that the Campus is situated right next to the train station!  The transport to the city centre is also very good, buses literally turn up every 2 minutes, so you don’t have to worry about missing the bus.

train adrien brody darjeeling limited GIF

I know that when most of you searched for where to study, some of you would have been wondering about the living costs. It’s all well and good to go to a distant university, but if the living costs is quite high then that could affect your decision to go there (take London, for example *gasp*). You’ll be glad to know that living in Stoke-on-Trent is cheaper than you think, so you can still go on a night out with your friends!

money cash make it rain cash money GIF

Now, more about the city itself. I still find it a bit odd today that Stoke-on Trent is a city, when it is made up of 6 towns (the more you know!!). Each town has something different to offer so I’d consider taking a trip to each one!

Let’s start with the city centre, or Hanley as most of the locals would call it. They have an intu shopping centre with plenty of stores that you shop from. There is also a new area called the hive which is the home of a few new restaurants (up for a cheeky Nando’s with the lads?) and a Cineworld for all the movies you want to watch. I particularly spend a lot of time in the cinema, especially when lots of new movies are released at once. There are also several theatres, including the Regent Theatre and the New Vic… so there is plenty of entertainment! Stoke-on-Trent has also been shortlisted for City of Culture 2021 recently. which will only bring more exciting things to the city.

There are a lot of green areas that you can go to around Stoke-on-Trent if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I suppose it helps you to clear your head, so that you can regain your focus. One of my favourite places to go is Tunstall park, since I used to live near there when I was younger. I have been there recently and they have revamped the kids play area so it is looking nice. There is also Hanley Park, which is only a 2 minute walk from the university and provides the perfect escape during a long day of studying.

fall autumn leaves when harry met sally foliage GIF

But hey, this is just my experience of the city and I know that this city has more to offer. I would highly recommend studying here in Stoke-on-Trent, but don’t take my word for it… why not visit an open day? You’ll love it!!

Looking to study in Stoke-on-Trent in September 2017? Browse available courses at www.staffs.ac.uk/clearing

Jacob
About Jacob 1 Article
I’m Jacob and I’m one of your Clearing student ambassadors! I have lived in Stoke-on-Trent most of my life, and I have just completed my 2nd year of my Psychology degree. I came to staffs through Clearing, and also have a lot of knowledge on the local area, so I am here to share my wisdom!

Be the first to comment