What to expect as a student midwife

My name is Natalie and I am a second year student midwife. I will be briefly sharing some information with you on what to expect upon starting your midwifery journey.

As you may know our course is not like no ordinary degree where you are in university for three times a week. The midwifery degree is a full-time course divided into 50% academic learning and 50% practical learning. In the academic learning you will be in university Monday to Friday and expected to attend every lecture in line with the NMC requirements of our degree. Theory will enable you to gain the knowledge, understanding and skills required as a midwife and practical learning will give you the opportunity to gain hands on experience of being a midwife.

Recently staffs have changed how our placements are structured. We are now on block placements where you will be in practice for approximately 6 weeks working 37.5 hours per week. Placements hours can vary depending on where you are based clinically. For example, you could work 8 hours a day if you are on community placement or a 12 hour shifts when based in the hospital. Prior to going out into practice we have days in the university skills lab where we learn how to undertake various skills such as blood pressure, urinalysis, abdominal palpation, adult resuscitation, venepuncture and many more. I love skills day!!. I would say make the most of the opportunities you have on these days, don’t be afraid to ask questions, don’t be afraid to try a certain skill more than twice until you feel happy about it. I say this because after you have been trained in university you are then able to undertake these skills in practice in the discretion of your mentor, who you are required to work with 40% of your placement block.

A big tip when on placement buy plenty of black pens, they will become your best friend. When you “borrow” pens out ensure you get them back or they will be gone forever!! So remember pens are a necessity!!

I have two children and prior to starting my degree I ensured that I had the adequate support from my family and friends as I knew that this degree was going to be full time and demanding. I would give the same advice to those who have children and to those who don’t, supportive family and friends is a key on this degree. Ensure that you use your cohort for support too I know that my cohort are so supportive of each other and they are amazing as we are all going through this journey together.

Any problems or concerns do not forget your lecturers and personal tutor, they are very approachable and want to help and support you through this process too.

Finally, I hope I have not put any of you off, yes this is a full time degree, no it is not easy, yes I know that when most of your friends are out on the weekend and your on a 12 hour shift. However, you can have time out for yourself and have a social life too, yes this is the most amazing and rewarding career and most of all enjoy this journey. I am absolutely loving it and cannot wait to qualify as a midwife next year.

Natalie Haven, 2nd Year Midwifery Student.