Step Up student blogs: Justyna

1)      What motivated you to apply for Step Up?

My decision to undertake Step Up to HE and the higher education route was well thought and considered. Over the last several years, I tried to use my skills in the workplace to obtain a position in lower management within a human resources remit. My natural organisational skills as well as working discipline were helpful; but my progress was slow due to my lack of education.  As much as my skills were valued and recognised, I was at a disadvantage compared to other members of staff who could support their job applications with various forms of diplomas and degrees. As a result, I then started to look for ways to enrich my working prospects and finally took the plunge so I could gain a position I would enjoy and excel in. The Step Up option then came in the form of advice during a meeting with a Staffordshire University International Officer; who then guided and supported me in making an application for the course.

2)      How did you feel on the first day?

My first day was accompanied with mixed feelings, excitement from starting a new journey, anxiety and a dash of apprehension. After having a long break from education, I was apprehensive as to what I should expect. After meeting my tutors and other co-students on the first day, all my apprehensions lifted and I felt most of all ready for the new and exciting challenges ahead. 

3)      How did you find the teaching and support here at Staffordshire University in comparison to past education experience?

The tutors were supportive, helpful and aware of individualistic student needs; especially after my long gap in education. In addition to this, the tutors and teaching staff helped tremendously in improving my academic writing skills and my confidence in writing owing to the fact that English is my second language.  For example, the concept of the academic writing was new to me and the tutors were willing to provide an insight into the potential flaws that I was making. This in turn improved my language as well as mu confidence in my writing potential.

4)      Has Step Up helped you anyway, if so, what?

I found the Step Up route particularly helpful in providing me with a firm understanding of the rigours of degree level qualification whilst also providing me with a taste of what university life as a mature learner will be like.  On top of this, I have noticed a great boost in my critical thinking skills as well my confidence in my own abilities throughout working in and leading teams within my job too.    

5)      What are your hopes and plans for the future?

For now, my hopes and plans revolve around starting and completing the BA (Hons) Business Management and Human Resources degree at Staffordshire University, which starts this September. Looking further in to the future, I hope to then proceed onto the Masters in Human Resource Management as my end goal is to become a specialist and obtain a position within HR or other managerial roles in possible one of the UK’s leading companies. 

For more details on how to apply for the next intake of Step Up to HE follow the link: http://www.staffs.ac.uk/stepup