Step Up student blogs: Rachael

1. What motivated you to apply for Step Up?

I was initially motivated to apply for Step Up because I was entirely unsure what university was all about and what studying at degree level would consist of. As a learner, I didn’t know how to approach or complete the academic side of study and the thought of writing essays and reports sent shivers done my back! Similarly, as I know the expectations of nursing students are rather high, I wanted to ensure I had developed the required skills before jumping straight in – especially as I wanted to give my full attention to learning the clinical and practical aspects of studying a course in nursing.

2. How did you feel on the first day?

An absolute varied range of emotions. Some good, however, some which also made me question whether I was cut out for university and the challenge that lay ahead. This uncertainty was in part due to my home country being Nigeria which made me rather overwhelmed due to the thought of studying within a British university. However, these feelings soon subsided, especially once I understood what support was available and the friendliness of the university and teaching staff. Within a couple of weeks, I had settled in well and was starting to enjoy the new challenge and importantly improving my self-confidence. This is something that has stayed with me!

3. How do you feel now you have progressed on to Child Nursing?

Now that I’m on my degree and into the first months of teaching, I feel less overwhelmed and more in control of my learning and time management. Since completing Step Up, I feel as though I have a distinct advantage over some of my peers on the nursing degree as I know how to research and reference correctly through the knowledge I have developed through the course. As a student, it has been reassuring to have other students ask me to help them with the academic side. This has really solidified my place within the university as I feel as though I have something of value to contribute, not only to myself but also to peers I work with on my degree.

4. Has Step Up helped you anyway, if so, what?

Step Up was a fantastic introduction to university level study. Within nursing as an area, it is crucial to be able to research effectively and to look at the correct sources which you can then apply to your practice within a placement environment. Step Up has enabled me to do this with ease and in turn given me the self-belief I needed to hit the ground running with my undergraduate degree. I now have the skills and tools to write clearly, concisely and effectively while being able to approach the various assessments on my course with confidence.

5. What advice would you give to students considering returning to education?

I would advise anyone returning to education or thinking about progressing to university to give the Step Up course a go. The staff believe in you more than you probably believe in yourself and this really helps with developing your confidence and self-belief. It has opened so many opportunities for me and I feel as though I have changed positively as a person now I have a new challenge. It has given me the path to the career I have always aspired to reach and a new path for the future!

Go for it –

Rachael

For more details on how to apply for the next intake of Step Up to HE follow the link: http://www.staffs.ac.uk/stepup