Kate’s story: Overcoming barriers to education and University

I’ve always found the act of learning to be incredibly exciting. Picking up new knowledge and widening my perspective, while also training myself to question, debate and adapt can be immensely empowering. I’ve always felt this way, however, until I arrived at university, I felt like I was never able to express this passion for learning properly. During my time in high school and college I remember feeling like a ghost and everything felt so out of reach. Dyslexia, depression, low self-esteem, anger and a general lack of interest behaved as brick walls that I had to face each time I tried to engage with studies. It made me feel so angry and exhausted that I became a passive observer. As such, I sat back and watched my friends receive their GCSE results and a few years later I sat back and watched them receive their A level results. Sitting back and observing suited me just fine, at least until I received my grades and realised that I might have done better if I hadn’t shown up at all.   

Annoyed by this unsettling reflection, I marched down to my Career Advisor in hopes of finding out how to amend my mistake. They told me I had two options, the first option was resitting, and the second was to try a course at Staffs Uni called Step Up  to Higher Education. Immediately, I knew resits were out of the question. My intention was to move forward. As such, I decided to try the Step Up course. Upon applying I had to attend an interview. I was so nervous I imagined a scenario where they would ask me where my grades were and what I’d been playing at all this time. I thought they’d judge me. I thought they might assume I was unteachable. Of course, none of these events occurred. Instead, I was met with a genuine willingness to help and understand. It overpowered my anxieties and allowed me to feel comfortable. After the interview, I was accepted on to the course and felt truly elevated by the outcome.  

It became clear to me that this understanding and positive approach was consistent throughout the course, and I was encouraged to express myself and engage. Each week I had a 1:1 meeting with the Course Leader, where the main topic of conversation was not about the things I did wrong or how poor of a job I may or may not have done, rather, it was all about me as an individual! They didn’t care about the mistakes I made in the past, or whether my grades were ‘good enough’. For the first time ever, it felt like someone was actually listening to me and trying to help. With this support, those brick walls I had mentioned earlier began to crumble, and, while I still have to acknowledge the rubble left behind, I don’t have to face it alone. Step Up to HE was a new beginning for me. It helped me to set a standard for myself, reigniting my passion for learning. 

The barriers you face might sound like mine or they could be entirely different, whether it be age, mental health, learning difficulties or adjusting to a new home country. The decision to pursue your goals is truly admirable.  

For this same reason, if you’re between the ages of 16- 24 and you’d like to begin your own journey, starting with Step Up To HE,  you can do so via the YES project, where you’ll receive 1:1 mentoring to guide you in your academic development and career/life planning. Furthermore, with this guidance, you’ll receive advice and information about potentially progressing on to university.  

Ensuring accessibility to education and offering appropriate aid so you can reach your goals is our top priority. If you’d like to find out more, please get in touch with us: 

Email: stepup@staffs.ac.uk  

Facebook: Step Up to Higher Education  

Twitter: @StaffsStepUP 

We look forward to hearing from you soon!  

– Kate  

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Yes_Logo_CMYK_With-Straps-Stacked-1024x495.jpg