The rise of the hipster phd

I know I’ve said it before, but I really am kicking my phd into gear this year. Having spent a lot of time floating around, first off with an idea I didn’t really gel with or think I could do (and has now been awesomely done by people who can actually code) because it fitted in with the engineering faculty of old, to being told that not caring about the making, and caring about the product, and the users was just fine to getting settled in our new home in the school of art & design to where I am now.

So now I’m studying a phd in the field of Digital Design & Technologies, specifically doing observations at our annual Global Game Jam event, on if any of what we teach the students is reflected in the compressed nature of the jam.

I’ve got an awesome supervisory team, I finally understand what I need to do for the first year of ‘modules’ for the PGCERT and I actually think its doable- it might even be fun, but it’s a long slog doing it part time alongside everything else.

I’ve also been a better student then I ever have before – if nothing else I’m super organised (on a given day I’ll use Google Docs, Dropbox, Trello & Evernote with a sprinkling on Wünderlist, Cal & any.do to keep things moving) I can get to all of my notes, at any time on my phone, my iPad or online and so far, it’s working. I can’t stress how much this has helped.

This and twitter (and Facebook) but really twitter is amazing for connecting with people in so many fields, and a massive thanks to my 2nd supervisors Katy for getting me familiar with @phdforum. And this is where the hipster phd thing comes from, people are doing work in the most awesome fields, 3d printing alloys, squishing stem cells etc – it’s so exciting to know I’m a tiny part of pushing the envelop forward.