Do you enjoy food and drink plus prefer exploring new regions? Then the recent announcement of Winners of the EU EDEN Destinations of Excellence Awards for Tourism and local gastronomy is just what you need if you are planning this year’s holidays in Europe.
According to data of the UNWTO, for about 44% of travellers around the globe, food is one of the three criteria they take into consideration when they decide where to travel. It is one of the top 5 factors driving visitors’ satisfaction. 1 in 5 international visitors to Europe are involved in gastronomic activities on their trip.
The EDEN Awards recognise the important work that is being done by the winning destinations with their specialised tourism offers. The awards help raise awareness for sustainable food tourism, and draws attention to exciting, little-known European destinations that are off the beaten track.
You can also follow us on twitter @tourismsu
On the links you will find a description of the region and their specialties as well as links to the official tourism sites to get you started.
- Mostviertel Tourism, Austria
- Waimes, Belgium
- Gornje Medimurje, Croatia
- Pitsilia region, Cyprus
- Jeseniky, Czech Republic
- Hiiumaa, Estonia
- Tournus and the Tournougeois, France
- Mecsek Greenway, Hungary
- Skagafjordur Food Chest, Iceland
- The Burren Food Trail, Ireland
- Guardiagrele, City of Taste, Italy
- Latgale region, Latvia
- A spit cake in Jaskonys, Druskininkai municipality, Lithuania
- Xaghra, Malta
- The Silesian Tastes Culinary Route, Poland
- Marginimea Sibiului, Romania
- Pirot, Serbia
- Brda, Slovenia
- Goierri, Basque Country, Spain
- Gaziantep, Turkey
Of course if you are wondering where to visit in England then Staffordshire is fantastic, and here are some great events happening in Staffordshire in 2016