The Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) will allocate £4.47 billion to 129 universities and higher education colleges and 203 further education colleges for the academic year 2013-14.
This funding is allocated for the following key areas and activities:
- £2.3 billion for teaching
- £1.6 billion for research
- £160 million for knowledge exchange
- £280 million in capital grants
- £149 million in special funding.
Further details are given in ‘Recurrent grants and student number controls for 2013-14’ (HEFCE 2013/05). The ring-fenced settlement for science and research means that HEFCE can maintain overall levels for research and knowledge exchange funding until 2014-15.