Keywords: continental, european, masters, distance learning, online, MA, PhD, postgraduate, graduate school, doctorate, england, britain, united kingdom
We are a small, research-intensive philosophy department, specializing in modern Continental (European) philosophy, and including more than 30 postgraduate students. Staffordshire University is a fully accredited part of the United Kingdom higher education system.
- The distance learning Masters in Continental Philosophy (click here for more details). You can start on this course in September or in January.
- A taught Master of Arts (MA) in philosophy under the umbrella of the MA Negotiated Learning. You can start on this course in September or in January.
- We also offer PhD supervision both by attendance and by distance learning (see PhD information page). You can start a research degree at any time of year.
There are only a limited number of places on the doctoral programme, and we particularly welcome applications in the following areas:
- Kant in relation to more recent European thought
- Phenomenology (especially Heidegger) or hermeneutics
- Foucault (archaeology, genealogy, philosophy and history, politics, ethics)
- French epistemology and philosophy of science, including Michel Serres
- Aesthetics (especially visual arts, literature or wine)
- Ethics, politics, and theories of subjectivity.
- The Department also has a specialisation in theory/practice PhD projects, where we supervise in conjunction with colleagues from fine art or other practice-based subjects.
Other staff associated with philosophy — that is, colleagues who teach or can supervise postgraduate students — include Dr. Mike Ball, Professor Ian Brown, Dr. Graham Coulter-Smith, Dr. Martin Jesinghausen, Professor Peter Kevern, Dr. Lisa Mansell, and Professor Angus McDonald.
You can follow David Webb at academia.edu, where you can also find several of his publications.
(Please note that although Gradschools.com kindly allow us to maintain a listing on their site, we are no longer able to receive enquiries through them. You will have to contact us directly.)
“An excellent choice. Actually coming back home after work and sitting down with the study material is one of the few meaningful activities during the day.” — C. Lamprou, current student.
“The combination of well-chosen readings, ongoing commentary and criticism from the professor, and an open forum to exchange perspectives and ask questions, created a similar experience of a classroom, but with better results. For example, all the students took great care to compose their blackboard posts as opposed to often less-developed thinking that can occur in a more traditional setting. In the end, a worthwhile and valuable experience.” — D. Weinberg, current student.
“Great module, erudite, patient, and kind tutor. I learnt a lot.” — S. Blaney, current student.