Daniel Jolley joins the Psychology Department at Staffordshire University

The Psychology Academic team are pleased to welcome Dr Daniel Jolley, who joined the University as a Lecturer in Psychology in September 2015. Daniel introduces himself below:

This is not my first time to be in the Psychology Department at Staffordshire University. As an alumni, I received by Bachelor Degree in Forensic Science and Psychology in 2010. In the years in-between however, we have both grown in strength.

Dr Daniel Jolley

Dr Daniel Jolley

When I was a student within the Psychology Department, Psychology was housed in the Mellor Building on College Road. Today, the department is found in the fantastic Science Centre on Leek Road. The building is equally impressive on the outside as in. Whilst I have only been here a couple of weeks, I already feel at home.

To provide more background on the time I have spent away from Staffordshire University, after graduating in 2010, I moved to Canterbury to begin a Master’s degree in Social and Applied Psychology at the University of Kent. After this year course, I stayed at the University of Kent to begin my Doctoral studies in Social Psychology. During my PhD, I worked as an Associate Lecturer at Kent and a Sessional Academic at Canterbury Christ Church University. I also worked as a Research Assistant on several projects with other researchers. After completing my PhD in 2014, I then moved to Lancaster University to work as a Research Associate on a number of industry-funded projects, with Professor Paul Taylor.

My research focuses on the psychology of conspiracy theories. This research began at Staffordshire University as a part of my final year project with Dr Jenny Cole. As I was keen to continue exploring the psychology of conspiracy theories, I moved to the University of Kent to work with an expert in the field, Professor Karen Douglas. We worked together during my Master’s course, and she then continued as my supervisor during my PhD, which aimed to examine and attempt to address the social psychological consequences of conspiracy theories.

Alongside my PhD and postdoctoral role, I have been an active member of the British Psychological Society.  I am a current committee member of the Social Psychology Section.  I was the Section’s Postgraduate Officer for two years, before being appointed as their Web Officer.  I am also a member of the BPS Research Board, where I represent the views of early career researchers. So whilst I am biased, I do think the BPS (and the Section in particularly) is a great organisation that I recommend you get engaged in.

I am delighted to be back at Staffordshire University as a Lecturer in Psychology. Both the Academic team and students are a brilliantly engaging group of people, and I am very much looking forward to supporting the next generation of psychologists.

If you wish to find out more about me and my research, I blog at conspiracypsychology.com and tweet @DrDanielJolley.

For more information about Psychology degrees at Staffordshire University please visit the Psychology Department homepage and the course listings.