October is Black History Month. This is an opportunity to share, to learn and to better understand black contributions to British society – and indeed around the world. It is a time to celebrate how Britain and British culture has been made stronger and more diverse because of these contributions. One of the many ways to embrace this is to watch a movie or two, read a book, listen to music or prepare a dish with a black history theme.
Our wonderful colleague and friend, Trust, has put together a great list of activities that will help you to celebrate black history and to develop a sense of what it means to be black. This way you can best connect with our black students and colleagues who are more likely to be feasting on these during this month. In addition, keep a look out for our inspirational blog posts featuring our staff and alumni.
Take a look at the list below, and join with us as we celebrate black history and what it means to be black.
- Hidden Figures (2016)
- The great debaters (2007)
- To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
- A Ballerina’s Tale (2015)
- Lee Daniels’ The Butler (2013)
- Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (1967)
- 42 (2013)
- The Help (2011)
- Remember the Titans (2000)
- And many more……
- What Is Wrong With Being Black? By Matthew Ashimolowo
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
- Heart and Soul: The Story of America and African Americans by Kadir Nelson
- Why I’m no longer talking to white people about race by Reni Eddo-Lodge
- The Colour Purple by Alice Walker
- Black Enough by Ibi Zoboi et al.
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- Fake ID by Lamar Giles
- And many more…….
- Sam Cooke – ‘A Change Is Gonna Come’ (1964)
- Curtis Mayfield – ‘Move On Up’ (1970)
- Aretha Franklin – ‘Respect’ (1968)
- Marvin Gaye – ‘What’s Goin’ On’ (1971)
- Bob Marley & Peter Tosh – ‘Get Up Stand Up’ (1973)
- Sister Sledge – ‘We Are Family’ (1979)
- Bob Marley – ‘Could You Be Loved’ (1980)
- And many more…….
- Jollof rice
- Yam, plantain and lamb stew
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- Spicy Southern Barbecued Chicken
- Fufu and Curried Chicken
- And much more….
Also, check out the great pages from the Student’s Union for more events and celebrations and their great blog pages.
Sarah, Trust and the rest of the Biological Sciences Team