Many of us students are on a budget and aren’t able to constantly make some of the fancy meals which we may have at home. I’ve recently discovered some amazing recipes and my favourite right now would have to be Mac and Cheese, you can alter the amount of cheese you use depending on your taste but I find that it tastes better with more cheese.
For this recipe you will need:
- Olive Oil
- Milk (1 pint bottle)
- 1 Onion
- Cheddar Cheese (I used two bags)
- Plain or wholemeal flour
- 1 Egg
- Turn your gas on all the way up and put on a pot of water to boil for your macaroni. In the water add some olive oil and salt.
- Cut up your onion in half and put one half away then dice half of the other half of the onion.
- Once the water has boiled, add your macaroni (I used half a bag).
- Get another pot and put the gas on high, add a quarter of the milk and 1 egg to the pot, then add 3 tablespoons of flour and stir with a wooden spoon. Once the mixture becomes thick and resembles porridge, turn the heat down and add a handful of cheese to the mixture. Add some more milk when it gets thick and stir together while the cheese melts. Once the cheese melts it will look like porridge. Add the rest of the bag of cheese to the mixture and stir. Turn up the heat a little bit to help the cheese melt and keep stirring. When it gets thick, add more milk and keep stirring until the cheese melts.
- Turn the gas all the way down and add your chopped onions and stir in and add another handful of cheese, turn the heat slightly up and keep stirring.
- Drain out the macaroni and put it back in the pot then pour the cheese sauce onto the macaroni and mix all together with the wooden spoon.
- Pour the macaroni and cheese into a glass dish and smooth out making sure it’s evenly distributed.
- Put the macaroni and cheese into the oven for 30 minutes on the middle shelf at 275 C.
And there you have it! Amazing mac and cheese! You can enjoy your mac and cheese with whatever you wish or have it on it’s own. I normally have it with chicken or I may add some rice with it also. I hope you find this recipe easy to follow and let me know if you try it out.