Student Vegetarian Meals – Farfalle With Salmon

finished meal on a plate

It’s commonly thought that students have poor diets because they cannot afford proper food. But with the right budgeting and planning it’s not difficult to eat healthy meals with your student finance.

For dinner this week I made Farfalle with Salmon, something I hadn’t tried before, but I found it on pinterest and it looked delicious! I started off with a fillet of Salmon which for 2 cost me, £2.50 from Asda. Which means I have another fillet and meal for another day!

Salmon

I also decided to treat myself to some different pasta from my huge pack of wholewheat penne and so I purchased some Farfalle. It cost me 80p for the bag and I’ve had four meals out of it already and still have some left over which is great!pasta

The recipe also asks for Double Cream (78p for 300ml from Asda), Frozen Peas ( £1.40 for 1kg from Asda) and Parmesan (£2.50 for 170g from Asda)

To begin the recipe, I had to poach the salmon, but putting in into cold water on the hob, bringing to the boil and then covering and removing from the hob and leaving it for 10 minutes. It was the first time I cooked Salmon for myself and was definitely a new experience.

Once I had cooked the salmon, I broke it into flakes and then put my pasta on to cook. I cooked the pasta to how I like it, which is cooked through. I then begun the sauce by putting the cream, frozen peas and salmon into another pan to let it heat through. Once all warmed up, I added some salt and pepper to season and added the pasta.

I then threw it onto a plate and grated some parmesan cheese on top and was finished. It was quite a quick and simple meal to make and tasted delicious (had flat mates approval too, which is always a winner!). The recipe called for lemon to be added to the sauce, but I had no lemons so I did remove this in end.

Finished product on a plate

WHAT YOU WILL NEED

• 1 mug of farfalle, (bowtie pasta) uncooked
  • 1 salmon fillet or leftover cooked salmon
  • 1/3 cup frozen peas (no need to defrost)
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • Grated Parmesan cheese, or more to taste
  • Salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste

Happy cooking!

Rebecca

xxx

About Rebecca 24 Articles
Currently studying Radio Production