Emily Thornton joins as our new Schools and Colleges Champion!

Written by Emily Thornton Psychology Schools and Colleges Champion.

I am very excited to be starting my new job role as the Psychology Department Schools and Colleges Champion. 

Emily Thornton, Psychology Schools and Colleges Champion.

I first joined Staffordshire University in 2020 to complete my MSc in the Foundations of Clinical psychology, where I completed my dissertation on Womens Lived Experiences of Autism, I am aiming to get this research published. It was during my master’s when I realised how welcoming everyone was.  After successfully completing my master’s I found the job role and it felt like the right time to join the University. 

I first fell in love with psychology when I completed an access course in social sciences (equivalent to A levels) which had a psychology module. I then went on to complete my BSc in psychology with the University of Chester. Throughout my undergraduate degree I had worked as a support worker with young people and adults in a range of settings.  

Some fun facts about me:  

1. I have dissected a human brain in my Undergrad.  
  2. I play wheelchair basketball. 
  3. I have flown a plane (under supervision!) 

Are you a school or college and would like to arrange a talk, workshop, visit? Please get in touch: psyschoolevents@staffs.ac.uk

The Department of Psychology at Staffordshire University offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Psychology at the University’s £30 million Science Centre in Stoke-on-Trent. The department is home to the Staffordshire Centre for Psychological Research, a large and active group of psychologists, PhD students and researchers conducting work into a variety of psychological disciplines and topic areas.

Interested in a Psychology degree? Come to an Open Day – for further details and to book your place at an open day please click here.