Rachel Bolton-King openly shares her 2019 Churchill Fellowship experiences and insights with the Research4Justice user community in real-time through Twitter, LinkedIn and blog posts below:
- Participating in my research through social media interactions (updated 27th June 2019)
- Why South Africa, France and the USA? (28th July 2019)
- Tackling gun crime in South Africa (5th September 2020)
- Enhancing the UK Criminal Justice System through Churchill Fellowships (14th April 2021), which includes a summary of my Fellowship outcomes and future actions.
A big thanks to the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust and The Lady Hind Trust for their funding and support of this Fellowship.
My name is Dr Rachel Bolton-King and I am an Associate Professor of Forensic Science at Staffordshire University.
I am so excited to announce that I will be a #ChurchillFellow2019, and I am very much looking forward to sharing my Fellowship experiences with you!
My project involves meeting with and shadowing law enforement agencies, forensic scientists, lawyers, Government officials and researchers to learn how existing and emerging technologies are used to detect, investigate, track, trace, solve, prevent and reduce gun crime in South Africa, USA (California) and France.
The aim of this research is to determine which technologies and/or best practices work best, and which could be applied in the UK to further enhance the work we already do.
I would be very interested in hearing from anyone working in the professions and locations I will be visiting between June and September 2019, so please get in touch with me through my profile page if you are able to meet with me during my trip.
Due to the topic of my fellowship, I have been lucky enough to have already gained some media attention. If you would like to read or hear more, please click on the following links:
- BBC Radio Stoke – my interview with Stuart George begins 44min 30s into his show and covers a range of topics centered around firearm identification, gun crime investigation and new technologies to help tackle and investigate shooting incidents (the show aired live between 3.45 and 4.30pm on Thursday 7th March 2019)
- Signal 1 Radio News (aired on 10th March 2019 – listen again to short clips hourly between 8am and 12pm)
- Staffordshire University News
- Signal 1 News Website (released 10th March 2019)
- The Saturday Sentinel (newspaper sold 9th March 2019 image below)
To stay updated with my travels, please follow me on Twitter @DrRachelBK and for more detailed information, please keep returning to this page.
Copyright © 2019 by Rachel Bolton-King. The moral right of the author has been asserted.
The views and opinions expressed in this website and its content are those of the author and not of the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust or its partners, which have no responsibility or liability for any part of the website.