Dr Dante Abate

Marie Skłodowska-Curie Research Fellow and 3D Modelling Specialist
PhD, Dip. BA (Hons)

Dante

In 2017, I began working at the Centre of Archaeology as a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Research Fellow on the “Digital Forensic Archaeology Project {Dig-For-Arch)“.
My background is in the humanities: I have an undergraduate degree in the History of Art, a Diploma of Specialization in Protection and Valorisation of Historical & Artistic Heritage, a degree in Cultural Heritage and a PhD in E-learning Development and Delivery, which I completed in 2009. Over the last decade, my research activity and professional practice has focused on applying 3D modelling techniques in the field of humanities and cultural heritage.

I joined the Centre of Archaeology from the Science and Technology in Archaeology Research Center at the Cyprus Institute, where I was a Research Assistant from September 2015 until February 2017. Here, I focused on the application of image-based and range-based techniques for archaeological and heritage documentation. I still continue to serve as Research Affiliate at the Cyprus Institute to work on joint projects.

In 2008, I was a visiting scholar at The Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities (University of Virginia, USA, 2008) and a Research Fellow at the Italian National Agency for New Technologies, Energy and Sustainable Economic Development ENEA (2009-2015). In 2012 I was selected to participate in the 28° Italian Research Expedition in Antarctica to perform Terrestrial Laser Scanning surveys in the Terranova Bay area.

I have published extensively on the subjects of archaeological site survey, laser scanning and 3D modelling.

Professional Memberships

• International Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
  • CIPA Heritage Documentation

Research Interests and Areas of Expertise

• Photogrammetry
  • Terrestrial Laser Scanning
  • 3D Modelling
  • Digital Archaeology
  • Cultural Heritage Management
  • Adapting Archaeological Methods for Use at Crime Scenes

Recent Publications

Journal Article: Photogrammetry

Abate, D. and Sturdy Colls, C. (2018) A Multi-Level and Multi-Sensor Documentation Approach of the Treblinka Extermination and Labour Camps. Journal of Cultural Heritage.

Journal Article: Photogrammetry

Abate, D., Toschi, I., Sturdy-Colls, C., and Remondino, F. (2018) PANORAMIC IMAGES, 2D FEATURE-BASED AND CHANGE DETECTION METHODS FOR THE DOCUMENTATION OF CONTAMINATED CRIME SCENES, Int. Arch. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., XLII-2, 1-8.

Journal Article: Photogrammetry

Abate, D., Toschi, I, Sturdy Colls, C. and Remondino, F (2018) A LOW-COST PANORAMIC CAMERA FOR THE 3D DOCUMENTATION OF CONTAMINATED CRIME SCENES. International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, XLII-2. pp. 1-8.

Journal Article: 3D Database Systems

Abate, D. Avgousti, A. Faka, M. Hermon, S. Bakirtzis, N and Christofi, P. (2017) An Online 3d Database System For Endangered Architectural And Archaeological Heritage In The South-Eastern Mediterranean. In: The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, Volume XLII-2/W3, 2017 3D Virtual Reconstruction and Visualization of Complex Architectures, 1–3 March 2017, Nafplio, Greece.

Journal Article: Photogrammetry

Abate, D. Hermon, S. and Eliades, I. (2016) Virtual And Physical Recomposition Of Fragmented Ecclesiastical Frescoes Using A Photogrammetric Approach. In: The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, Volume XLI-B5, 2016 XXIII ISPRS Congress, 12–19 July 2016, Prague, Czech Republic.

Journal Article: Cultural Heritage

Migliori, S. Abate, D. et al., (2015) ICT per il Cultural heritage: possibili interazioni con SITAR, in Archeologia e Calcolatori, Supplemento 7: 67- 72.

Journal Article: 3D Technologies

Abate, A. (2015) Tecnologie 3D Per La Valorizzazione Dei Beni Culturali, in Restaurare in Abruzzo, 68-80.

Symposium Proceedings: Online Data Presentation

Abate, A. and David, M. (2015) Out Of The Archaeologist’s desk drawer: Communicating Archaeological data Online. In: Annals of the International Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Cipa Symposium, Taipei, Taiwan, August 31 – September 4 2015.

Complete List of Publications

Return: Our PeopleHome